…FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, declared Friday, February 20, 2026, a work-free day
ABUJA, NIGERIA- The iNews Times | FCT records over 1.5 million eligible voters who have collected their Permanent Voter Cards across its six area councils, according to the Independent National Electoral Commission, ahead of the February 21, 2026 elections.
The disclosure came as the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, declared Friday, February 20, 2026, a work-free day and ordered a restriction of movement from 8pm on Friday to 6pm on Saturday to facilitate a smooth electoral process.
The commission scheduled February 21 for the election of chairmen and councillors in the six area councils. Campaigns officially ended on Thursday evening, with political parties mobilising residents to participate in the polls.
Voters in Abuja Municipal Area Council, Bwari, Gwagwalada, Kuje, Abaji and Kwali are expected to elect officials into 68 positions, six chairmanship seats and 62 councillorship slots.
In a statement issued by the National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee, Muhammed Haruka, INEC said that as of February 10, 2026, a total of 1,680,315 voters were registered in the FCT. Of that number, 1,587,025 PVCs had been collected, representing a 94.4 per cent collection rate, while 93,290 cards remained unclaimed.
A council-by-council breakdown showed high turnout in PVC collection: Abaji recorded 75,517 collections out of 79,471 registered voters (95.0 per cent); Bwari had 276,360 out of 295,711 (93.5 per cent); Gwagwalada posted 196,184 out of 208,057 (94.3 per cent); Kuje recorded 144,109 out of 148,286 (97.2 per cent); Kwali had 99,774 out of 107,203 (93.1 per cent); while Abuja Municipal Area Council led with 795,081 out of 841,587 (94.5 per cent).
INEC noted that several registration areas recorded collection rates exceeding 99 per cent, which it described as evidence of strong grassroots participation. The commission commended FCT residents for their cooperation during the Continuous Voter Registration and PVC collection exercises and reiterated that only registered voters with valid PVCs would be accredited to vote. It also assured the public of its readiness to conduct a free, fair and credible election.
In a separate broadcast, Wike urged FCT residents to turn out in large numbers and vote responsibly. According to a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, the work-free day and movement restriction were approved by President Bola Tinubu to enable residents travel to their communities and ensure hitch-free voting. Security agencies were directed to enforce compliance.
Wike called on FCT residents to conduct themselves peacefully and respect the outcome of the polls, describing the election of chairmen and councillors as significant for development, peace and prosperity in the territory. He also praised the President for signing the Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026, saying it demonstrated commitment to strengthening democratic institutions.
Meanwhile, political developments altered the race in some councils. The Peoples Democratic Party chairmanship candidate for Abuja Municipal Area Council, Zadna Dantani, withdrew from the contest on Thursday and declared support for the All Progressives Congress candidate, Christopher Makaleng. His decision followed a similar move by the PDP candidate in Bwari, Julius Adamu, who stepped down for the APC’s Joshua Musa.
In his withdrawal letter dated February 18, 2026, Dantani said his decision followed consultations with family and stakeholders, and he attributed it to Wike’s intervention.
On the other hand, the 2023 presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party, Adewole Adebayo, insisted that FCT residents, not political heavyweights, would determine the outcome of the elections. Campaigning in Apo for the SDP’s AMAC chairmanship candidate, Obinna Simon, popularly known as MC Tagwaye, Adebayo urged voters to resist external influence and make their choice at the ballot box.




