• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
iNews Times
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • News
  • National
  • International
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Education
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Metro
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • News
  • National
  • International
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Education
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Metro
No Result
View All Result
iNews Times
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Bandits Demand N400m, Food Items to Release 22 Abductees in Kwara

Kwara Kidnapping: Bandits Seek N400m Ransom, Supplies for 22 Captives

byChinenye Agu 🇳🇬
January 9, 2026
in News
Terrorists unleash fresh attacks in Kwara, Katsina, Kaduna; many abducted

Share this

  • Facebook
  • X
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • LinkedIn
  • SMS
  • Telegram

…“The bandits dismissed the ₦4 million as ‘recharge card’ money and threatened to kill the captives and attack the community if the ransom is not paid,” 

KWARA, NIGERIA- The iNews Times | More than 22 people are currently in captivity across several communities in Kwara South, as bandits demand a combined ransom of over ₦400 million, alongside food items and drinks, for their release.

The affected communities, Adanla, Isapa, Isanlu-Isin and Owa-Onire are areas without established military formations by either the state or federal government. Findings by indicate that the bandits relocated to these communities after security forces were deployed to areas such as Okeode, Babanla and Eruku, where military bases had been set up, forcing the criminals to seek out locations with minimal or no security presence.

At present, nine persons, including the monarch of Afin in the Ile-Ere district, Oba Simeon Olanipekun, his son Olaolu, and a youth corps member abducted in December, remain in captivity. Another nine victims abducted in Isapa are also being held, along with two persons kidnapped on the Isanlu-Isin highway earlier this year.

RelatedPosts

Imo-Awka Festival 2026: Anambra Government Approves Celebration

LASUSTECH International Partnership Expands With Major Polish University Collaboration

AAC Senatorial Candidate: Chioma Ifemeludike Emerges to Challenge Anambra Political Heavyweights in 2027

In Owa-Onire, two persons abducted in December are still being detained by the bandits. The Olowa of Owa-Onire, Oba AbdulRahman Fabiyi who himself was abducted in 2024 and released after the payment of ₦5 million told journalists on Friday that the two captives from his community remain with their abductors.

According to the monarch, “I spoke with them yesterday. We have paid ₦2 million already, and the ransom has been negotiated down to ₦800,000, in addition to a list of food items and drinks they demanded before the two victims can be released.”

Lamenting the lack of security in the area, Oba Fabiyi appealed to the state government to urgently facilitate the establishment of a police station in Owa-Onire to curb the rising cases of abduction.

“They operate freely here because there is no security presence. Our fear is that once they finish the money, food and drinks we give them, they will return to abduct more people. We urgently need security to prevent this recurring tragedy,” he said.

Similarly, Oba Simeon Olanipekun recounted his ordeal in the hands of the bandits and described the challenges faced by security agencies in tracking them.

“The forest is vast, with many routes, and they know the terrain very well because they have operated there for decades. That is why they warn captives not to attempt escape,” he said, adding that the size and complexity of the forests have made security operations difficult. He also appealed to the government to provide adequate security for his people.

Commenting on the situation, the Coordinator of the Joint Security Watch for Kwara South Senatorial District, Zubair Olaitan, said efforts to arrest and neutralise bandits in the region have been hampered by several factors.

“The terrain characterised by expansive forests, hills, caves and porous borders offers a safe haven for criminals. There are also reports that some locals provide them with food, shelter and intelligence, which complicates security operations,” he said.

Olaitan further noted that poor communication infrastructure, including the absence of surveillance tools such as drones, and weak coordination between security agencies and host communities have slowed progress. However, he said the state government, in collaboration with federal security agencies, has begun addressing these issues through the deployment of forest guards and joint patrols.

He added that recent operations have recorded some success, with several bandits neutralised and suspects arrested for supplying weapons, food and other logistics. “The government has made it clear that it will not tolerate banditry and remains committed to restoring peace in the region,” he said.

Despite these efforts, Olaitan disclosed that no breakthrough has been recorded regarding the ₦300 million ransom demanded for the release of nine victims abducted in Adanla community of Ifelodun Local Government Area on Boxing Day, December 26, 2025.

“The bandits have contacted community leaders three times, insisting that the victims will not be released unless the ₦300 million ransom is paid,” he said.

The nine victims were seized after the bandits failed in an attempt to abduct the community’s monarch, Oba David Olarinoye, and his wife. The king was reportedly away in Igbaja for an engagement when the attackers struck. Seven victims were abducted from the palace, while two others were captured on their way into the bush.

In Isapa, Ekiti Local Government Area, the Akeweje of Isapa land, Chief Idowu Sunday, said 11 persons remain in captivity, with the bandits demanding ₦35 million for their release.

He disclosed that a pregnant Hausa woman among the captives was recently taken to a stream in Oro-Ago, a neighbouring town, after she began experiencing labour contractions.

Chief Sunday explained that the bandits initially demanded ₦300 million, citing a previous ₦350 million ransom paid for victims abducted at CAC Oke-Isegun in Eruku. After negotiations, the demand was reduced to ₦35 million. However, when the community sent three representatives with ₦4 million to secure the release of some captives, two of them were seized, increasing the number of captives to 11, while the third narrowly escaped.

“The bandits dismissed the ₦4 million as ‘recharge card’ money and threatened to kill the captives and attack the community if the ransom is not paid,” he said.

Appealing for urgent government intervention, the traditional ruler said, “We know what these bandits are capable of. We cannot take their threats lightly. We don’t want our people killed. The government must please come to our aid.”

Chinenye Agu 🇳🇬

Chinenye Agu 🇳🇬

Related Posts

Imo-Awka Festival 2026: Anambra Government Approves Celebration

Imo-Awka Festival 2026: Anambra Government Approves Celebration

byAwesome Ekene
May 22, 2026
0

Imo-Awka Festival Approval Granted by Anambra State Government. State government issues strict guidelines to ensure peaceful conduct as Awka prepares...

LASUSTECH International Partnership Expands With Major Polish University Collaboration

LASUSTECH International Partnership Expands With Major Polish University Collaboration

byFemi Adeboye
May 22, 2026
0

LASUSTECH International Partnership Strengthens Global Academic Expansion. Lagos State University of Science and Technology deepens global academic ambitions through strategic...

AAC Senatorial Candidate: Chioma Ifemeludike Emerges to Challenge Anambra Political Heavyweights in 2027

AAC Senatorial Candidate: Chioma Ifemeludike Emerges to Challenge Anambra Political Heavyweights in 2027

byAwesome Ekene
May 22, 2026
0

AAC Senatorial Candidate Chioma Ifemeludike Emerges for Anambra Central Race. Former AAC governorship candidate vows to pursue “quality representation” as...

NYSC Passing Out: Two Corps Members to Repeat Service as 901 Complete National Assignment

NYSC Passing Out: Two Corps Members to Repeat Service as 901 Complete National Assignment

byAsabe Aliyu
May 21, 2026
0

NYSC Passing Out Ceremony Sees Two Corps Members Repeat Service. Ceremony in Gombe witnesses emotional farewell, safety warnings, and brief...

JAMB Registrar Appointment: Tinubu Names 39-Year-Old Professor Segun Aina as Oloyede’s Successor

JAMB Registrar Appointment: Tinubu Names 39-Year-Old Professor Segun Aina as Oloyede’s Successor

byAsabe Aliyu
May 21, 2026
0

JAMB Registrar Appointment: Tinubu Names Segun Aina as Oloyede’s Successor. Education sector braces for leadership transition as Presidency taps digital...

Onitsha Hotel Dispute: Woman Demands Police Exit Property, Payment of N21m Debt

Onitsha Hotel Dispute: Woman Demands Police Exit Property, Payment of N21m Debt

byAwesome Ekene
May 21, 2026
0

Onitsha Hotel Dispute Deepens as Owner Demands Police Exit Property. Legal battle deepens as hotel owner accuses mobile police squadron...

Next Post
Army Denies Allegations of Unpaid Allowances, Extortion in Ogun State

Police Crack Kidnap Ring in Nasarawa, Free Three Victims

Recommended

JAMB UTME

JAMB releases date for Mop-up UTME Examination

11 months ago
President Tinubu hands over APC flag

Tinubu expresses bringing Anambra over to APC as top priority

12 months ago

Popular News

  • Imo-Awka Festival 2026: Anambra Government Approves Celebration

    Imo-Awka Festival 2026: Anambra Government Approves Celebration

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LASUSTECH International Partnership Expands With Major Polish University Collaboration

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • AAC Senatorial Candidate: Chioma Ifemeludike Emerges to Challenge Anambra Political Heavyweights in 2027

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NYSC Passing Out: Two Corps Members to Repeat Service as 901 Complete National Assignment

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JAMB Registrar Appointment: Tinubu Names 39-Year-Old Professor Segun Aina as Oloyede’s Successor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

About Us

We bring you the news....

Category

  • Agriculture
  • Business
  • Culture
  • Editorial
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • International
  • Metro
  • National
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • SouthEast Times
  • Sports

Quick Links

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Read Also…

  • Imo-Awka Festival 2026: Anambra Government Approves Celebration
  • LASUSTECH International Partnership Expands With Major Polish University Collaboration
  • AAC Senatorial Candidate: Chioma Ifemeludike Emerges to Challenge Anambra Political Heavyweights in 2027
  • NYSC Passing Out: Two Corps Members to Repeat Service as 901 Complete National Assignment
  • JAMB Registrar Appointment: Tinubu Names 39-Year-Old Professor Segun Aina as Oloyede’s Successor
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

© 2025 iTimes Media & Production Limited

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • News
  • National
  • International
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Education
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Metro

© 2025 iTimes Media & Production Limited