• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Saturday, February 21, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
iNews Times
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • News
  • National
  • International
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Education
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Metro
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • News
  • National
  • International
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Education
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Metro
No Result
View All Result
iNews Times
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Putin and Zelensky Poised for Historic Peace Talks

Putin, European leaders push for security guarantees as Ukraine war stalemates

byIjeoma Favour
August 19, 2025
in News, International
Putin and Zelensky Poised for Historic Peace Talks

 

…said Putin had accepted the principle of security guarantees for Kyiv, though he continued to oppose Ukraine’s NATO membership.

WASHINGTON, U.S – The iNews Times  | Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky appear set for a potential peace summit, following rapid-fire talks in Washington between U.S. President Donald Trump and key European leaders. The discussions, held Monday at the White House, centered on long-term security guarantees for Kyiv, raising cautious optimism that the grinding war may be inching toward a diplomatic breakthrough.

 

Trump revealed that he spoke by phone with Putin shortly after meeting Zelensky and top European officials, describing the exchanges as “very good.” He confirmed that he had begun preparations for a face-to-face meeting between the Russian and Ukrainian leaders, to be followed by a three-way summit that he would host. If realized, it would mark the first direct meeting between Putin and Zelensky since Moscow launched its invasion of Ukraine more than three years ago.

 

Writing on his Truth Social platform, Trump declared, “Everyone is very happy about the possibility of PEACE for Russia/Ukraine,” reinforcing his campaign pledge to end the war swiftly. German Chancellor Friedrich Merz later disclosed that Putin had signaled readiness for such a meeting within the next two weeks, though no location or firm date has yet been agreed.

 

Speaking to reporters outside the White House, Zelensky said he was “ready” to sit down with Putin despite the bloody conflict that has cost tens of thousands of lives. A Kremlin aide also confirmed Moscow’s openness to the “idea” of direct talks.

 

The battlefield situation remains largely deadlocked, with only limited Russian advances in recent weeks. Trump’s own summit with Putin in Alaska days earlier did not yield a ceasefire, prompting Zelensky to rush to Washington. There, he faced renewed U.S. pressure to consider concessions to Russia, including over Crimea and NATO membership, two of Putin’s longstanding demands.

 

Nevertheless, Monday’s meetings were markedly more cordial than previous encounters. Zelensky described his one-on-one Oval Office session with Trump as their “best” yet, contrasting it with a heated February exchange when Trump and Vice President JD Vance publicly berated him for a lack of gratitude. This time, Trump even complimented the Ukrainian leader’s trademark black jacket, a symbolic gesture after Zelensky was previously criticized in U.S. media for not wearing formal attire.

 

At the heart of discussions was the issue of Ukraine’s security. Trump said Putin had accepted the principle of security guarantees for Kyiv, though he continued to oppose Ukraine’s NATO membership. According to Trump, the guarantees would be delivered by European states “in coordination with the United States.”

 

NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte hailed the White House talks as “very successful,” crediting Trump with “breaking the deadlock.” Zelensky told reporters that Ukraine and its allies would finalize the guarantees within ten days, mentioning a package worth around $90 billion. Separately, the Financial Times reported that Ukraine had agreed to purchase $100 billion in U.S. weapons, financed by European partners, in exchange for these protections.

 

The presence of leaders from Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Finland, the European Commission, and NATO underscored Western unity but also revealed deep unease about Trump’s unpredictable stance. European officials made clear that Ukraine must not be forced to cede territory. Chancellor Merz compared Russia’s demand for Ukraine to abandon free parts of Donbas to asking the United States to surrender Florida.

 

French President Emmanuel Macron urged tougher sanctions on Russia should Putin stall, while Finnish President Alex Stubb bluntly stated that “Putin is not to be trusted.”

 

For Trump, now 79, the prospect of brokering peace represents both a political test and an opportunity to reshape transatlantic security. For Ukraine, it offers a potential path to guarantees short of NATO, while preserving sovereignty under enormous pressure. And for Europe, the looming question is whether Trump’s push for a deal will restrain Russia, reward it.

 

With expectations rising but mistrust lingering, the coming weeks may determine whether the long war of attrition finally gives way to dialogue, or whether hopes of peace remain just out of reach.

 

Ijeoma Favour

Ijeoma Favour

Next Post
Obosi community protests

Obosi Community Rises Up: Residents Protest Soludo’s Mega Gas Plant Plan

Recommended

PDP Hits Out at APC After Governor Fubara Crosses Over

PDP Hits Out at APC After Governor Fubara Crosses Over

2 months ago
Mr-Peter Obi

Peter Obi Rejects VP Slot, Seeks 2027 ADC Presidential Ticket

3 weeks ago

Popular News

  • Tanker with Failed Brakes Leaves One Dead in Lagos  ‎

    Tanker with Failed Brakes Leaves One Dead in Lagos ‎

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Anambra police ASP promotion sees CP decorate over 300 officers in Awka

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Edwin Obiora inaugural lecture examines primogeniture decline in Nigerian inheritance law

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ICPC project tracking in Anambra targets 68 constituency projects worth N18.4bn

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Lagos to Deduct 5% Levy from Betting, Lottery Winners

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

About Us

We bring you the news....

Category

  • Agriculture
  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Headlines
  • Health
  • International
  • Metro
  • National
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports

Quick Links

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Read Also…

  • Anambra police ASP promotion sees CP decorate over 300 officers in Awka
  • Tanker with Failed Brakes Leaves One Dead in Lagos ‎
  • Edwin Obiora inaugural lecture examines primogeniture decline in Nigerian inheritance law
  • ICPC project tracking in Anambra targets 68 constituency projects worth N18.4bn
  • Lagos to Deduct 5% Levy from Betting, Lottery Winners
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

© 2025 iNewstimes.com

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • News
  • National
  • International
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Education
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Metro

© 2025 iNewstimes.com